This easy broccoli soup is one of my family’s favorite! Super easy and quick to make. The combination of broccoli with the potatoes makes it extra creamy and delicious. Sautéed shallot gives it an extra flavor.
In my kitchen I use a lot of sambal oelek
Essentially Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian raw ground chili paste that isn’t very spicy. The spice levels are comparable to Sriracha but have far less lemon, making it less sour. The ingredients include chili peppers, vinegar and salt which add a little extra kick to your dish. I have been able to find it in most supermarkets. If you can’t find it, don’t worry, because this dish will still be delicious without it.
Adding lemon juice to this meal makes a difference because it adds a high back-note. The acid activates your taste buds the same way salt does. For this reason I always add a little to my soup towards the end of cooking. The addition of heavy whipping cream gives the soup its extra creamy texture. Once the cream and lemon are added to the soup, and it is fully incorporated, then you can taste if the soup needs more spices to suit your personal preference.
I added turmeric for its heath benefits because it is an anti-inflammatory antioxidant. If you choose to add this in you can combine it with the salt and fresh black pepper.
I like to add the Sambal Oelek just before adding the broth. Saute it for 30 seconds or until it is lightly fragrant. Next you add the broth and bring it to a boil. I am using chicken bone broth. If you prefer it to be a vegetarian dish you can substitute vegetable broth. If you don’t have bone broth, regular chicken broth will work.
I like to use a hand blender to blend my soups. It’s easy and quick without any extra mess or large blenders to wash. Our family likes the soup super smooth but you can blend less if you prefer some texture. After you have blended your soup, add the lemon juice and heavy whipping cream. Give it a good stir and taste. If you prefer more of the lemon juice or heavy whipping cream add it now. You can also add the heavy whipping cream just before serving as a decoration on top. Taste to see if the soup needs more salt/pepper. When you’re happy with it, ladle into bowls and enjoy!
I served it with my overnight sourdough bread.
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted butter substitute oil if you prefer
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 12 Oz Broccoli (340 gram)
- 2-3 Gold potatoes peeled and cubbed
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sambal oelek
- 32 Oz Chicken bone broth (945 ml) can use vegetable stock if preferred
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice More or less to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoon Heavy whipping cream More or less to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan. Sauté shallot until it is soft and light brown on medium low with a pinch of salt. Watch closely to avoid burning (4 -5 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped broccoli, potatoes, salt, pepper, turmeric. Stir and cook until the broccoli turns a bright green color. Then add sambal oelek and stir for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the broth and bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn down the heat to low and let it simmer until the broccoli and potatoes are tender and soft. This takes around 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the soup to preferred consistency. Add lemon juice and heavy whipping cream to taste. Stir until combined. Taste and add additional spices if needed. Enjoy!