This creamy cauliflower soup not only gets its creaminess from the main ingredient of cauliflower but also from the addition of potatoes. They give it the extra body to the soup. The heavy whipping cream in the end is the perfect finishing touch.
Cauliflower is not only a good source of vitamin C and K, it is also an excellent source of fiber, folate and vitamin B6.
Our family loves a good soup for dinner. My kids request soup based on its color instead of the ingredients. For example, the “green soup” is a huge favorite of my kids. You can find the recipe here. Even though it is white, this creamy cauliflower soup is a close second choice in my house. Both soups are quick and easy to make. Also have a tomato soup on my site here.
Most cauliflower soup recipes will have you roast your cauliflower as a first step. My recipe skips this and the end result is just as yummy. I was in a time crunch one day, so I opted to skip the roasting, and the end results didn’t disappoint at all! For my recipe, begin by melting butter in a pan, and cook your shallot till it is soft and browning. Next, add in the garlic and cook until it is fragrant. Finally, add your cauliflower and herbs and cook for couple of minutes.
After you have cooked your cauliflower for around 5 minutes, add your broth. I have chosen to use bone broth for its nutritional benefits. You can also use vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian. Bring the soup to a boil, and then lower the heat and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft. This should take around 15-20 minutes.
After the vegetables are tender, use a hand blender to mix the soup until nice and smooth. I use this kitchen aid hand blender. Taste your soup and add some heavy whipping cream and lemon juice to your desired taste before blending again. One final taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. If not serve it hot and enjoy this delicious creamy cauliflower soup with some toasted bread. Delicious for lunch, or an appetizer at dinner.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 Shallot minced
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 Head Cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried parsley
- 32 Fl oz Chicken bone broth
- 2 Tablespoon Heavy whipping cream
- Lemon juice to taste
- In large pot, on medium heat, melt your butter. Then add your minced shallots with a pinch of salt, and cook them till soft and slightly browned.
- Add your minced garlic and cook until fragant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn it. Burning it will give a bitter taste.
- Add the washed and cut potatoes, cauliflower, salt, freshly ground pepper and parsley. Cook them on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Stirring often will prevent it from burning.
- Add in the broth, bringing it to a boil. Then turn down the heat and let it simmer until the potatoes and cauliflower are soft. This takes around 15-20 minutes.
- Blend your soup to your preferred consistency. Add some heavy whipping cream and a splash of lemon juice, to your taste. If needed add some extra salt and pepper. Serve hot with some bread. Enjoy!