Scones are one of my favorite treats to eat with my cappuccino. For years I have tried to nail this recipe. Finally, I got it just right to my preference. I often struggled and ended up baking them too dry for my liking. The addition of whipped cream, milk and an egg was the secret.
These are so easy and delicious! Go and make them asap!!
The blood orange drizzle at the end balances out all the sweet of the scone and gives is a nice freshness.
White Chocolate Cherry Scones
- 2 Cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter frozen
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup dried cherries
Blood orange drizzle
- 1/3 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon blood orange juice
- Position your oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 425 Farhenheit.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and add baking powder and salt. Mix it until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, milk, maple syrup, vanilla and the whisked egg. Stir to combine.
- Grate the frozen butter over the flour mixture. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry knife.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the dried cherries.
- Gently stir the liquid into to the flour mixture until it is just combined. Be careful not to overmix it.
- Transfer the dough to a floured counter top. Gently form the dough into a circle approximately 7" round and 1 – 1 1/2” thick. Cut out 8 triangles.
- Place the triangles onto a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine the powdered sugar and blood orange juice until you no longer have any lumps. If you prefer a thin glaze, slowly add more juice to the mixture.
- Drizzle on the blood orange icing while the scones are still warm. Enjoy!