This is a super light and flavorful cake with the freshness of pear in it, which is a favorite fruit in my house. The combination of spices and pear combined to make this cake a sure hit, and a perfect fall or winter treat. My stores where full of pears, so I knew I had to create something yummy.
- Unsalted butter: Make sure your butter is room temperature and unsalted or your cake will be too salty.
- Sugar: I used regular cane sugar for this cake. If preferred, you can use coconut sugar, but I haven’t tried it with this recipe yet.
- Eggs: Eggs should be brought to room temperature before using.
- Vanilla extract
- Milk: I prefer to use whole milk.
- Flour: Regular unbleached or pastry flour works best.
- Baking powder
- Cinnamon powder: This gives the cake delicious fall/winter flavors.
- Pears: I used ripe, soft and juicy pears. For example Bartlett pears.
Start with beating the room temperature butter until soft, airy and fluffy. I typically use my kitchen aid mixer but a handheld mixer will work, too. Once you’re happy with the soft butter mixture, begin to add in the sugar and beat until combined and the sugar is fully dissolved into the butter. Finally, add in one egg at a time until fully combined and the vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
Next combine the milk, flour and butter mixtures together. Start with 1/3rd of the flour and mix in half of the milk. Once properly combined add another 1/3rd of the flour and the rest of the milk. Stir to combine in between. Then end with the remaining flour mixture. Stir until fully incorporated. After the milk and flour mixture is done it’s time to add the pear. The diced pear is carefully folded in to the batter. Do not over mix or you will let all the air out of the batter.
Now it is time to bake! Prepare your loaf pan. You can also use a bundt pan, as I did in the photos.
This pear cake is definitely a family favorite. My children love the combination of the cinnamon spice and pear; however, if you want to try a different loaf recipe, check out my posts for lemon cake and banana bread.
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter 100 grams room temperature
- 2/3 Cup Granulated sugar 130 grams
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Whole milk 175 millimeters
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour 200 grams
- 2 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon powder
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Pears cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit/180 Celsius.
- Beat the butter until softened and creamy. Add your sugar and mix until combined. Approximately 3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until combined. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Combine your dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts: start with the flour, add half of the milk, combine and then add the second part of your flour mixture, then the rest of the milk and finish with mixing in your last bit of flour. Combine with your mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fold in the cut pear carefully so you don’t let the air out of your batter. Pour in a prepared loaf pan. Alternatively, you can use a bundt pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean in your preheated oven. This takes around 50 minutes.