Our family loves a good soup. My kids’ favorite is my creamy broccoli soup but my favorite is this tomato soup. The combination of butter, tomatoes and cream makes this a rich, delicious and filling soup that is good for dinner or lunch.
In addition to shallot, garlic and tomatoes, the soup is seasoned with salt/pepper, paprika and sambal oelek for an extra kick in this soup.
Nice fresh tomatoes can be either store bought or homegrown. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant. They are also packed with vitamins A, C, calcium and potassium.
Cook your shallot until it is soft and light brown, then add in the garlic and simmer until it is fragrant. When it’s time to add these beautiful diced tomatoes we can include the spices as well. The paprika added with salt and pepper gives this soup more flavor and extra depth.
Letting the tomatoes cook on low to medium heat with spices until they are nice and soft helps the flavors combine. Just before adding the broth, I like to stir in a little bit of sambal oelek for that extra kick of spice. You can find it in most supermarkets. If you can’t find it you can switch it out for a half a teaspoon of chili powder instead.
I also enjoy adding in some fresh herbs depending on what I have in my garden or fridge. Either parsley or basil can make a nice addition to this soup.
Once all the ingredients are added bring the soup to a boil and let it simmer on low until the tomatoes are nice and soft and ready to blend. I use a hand held blender for this. My family prefers our soup very smooth. Finish the soup with some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a drizzle of heavy whipping cream. Finally if you have some herbs left over, you can add them on top to give it a nice pop of color just before serving.
- 1 Tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 Shallot minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 32 Oz tomatoes diced ((908 gram)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper freshly ground
- 1 Teaspoon Sambal oelek
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh parsley or basil if prefer
- 2.3 Oz Tomato paste 65 gram
- 20 Fl Oz Chicken bone broth 591 ml
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lemon juice more or less to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy whipping cream more or less to taste
- Sauté the shallot with a pinch of salt, on medium low heat, until soft. This takes around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic ,sauté until fragant, around 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan with salt, paprika and black pepper. Cook until soft, around 5-7 minutes. Then add the sambal oelek, if using, parsley and the tomato paste. Stir to combine and let cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Blend your soup to your prefered consistency. Add the lemon juice and heavy whipping cream. Stir and enjoy!