This delicious and decadent Challah french toast is perfect for any Sunday morning. Flavored with vanilla, cinnamon and just a hint of nutmeg. It is easy to make and soon will be a favorite in your house!
Challah is a braided loaf of bread. The simple dough is made with eggs, water, flour, yeast and salt. I used a store bought challah bread in this recipe but you definitely can bake your own. If you can’t get challah bread where you live, you can always use another soft white bread instead. You could even use my whole wheat bread recipe on my blog too.
When you have all your ingredients set out for your challah french toast, preheat the oven to 250 Fahrenheit. This will allow you to keep the prepared toast hot while you finish cooking the rest of it on the stove.
In a big bowl combine the eggs, milk, heavy cream, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and a dash of nutmeg. Whisk it all together in a bowl large enough to prevent spilling.
The addition of nutmeg is just a dash, no need to use measurement spoons. Sprinkle it in to your taste but I just use one tiny dash. Just enough to taste it, but not overwhelming or overpowering. The cinnamon and vanilla needs to be the star in this dish.
Baking the challah french toast:
Heat up your pan over a medium heat on the stove. I used a cast iron pan, which is one of my favorite pans in my kitchen. Once your pan is hot, melt a little butter in the pan. While the butter is melting coat the sliced bread in the egg mixture. Be careful not to let it soak up all the egg mixture or you will get soggy challah french toast. My pan was big enough for 2 slices at a time, so I coated 2 slices of 1’ challah bread and placed them in the warm pan. Cook them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Once done I placed them in an oven safe dish in the preheated oven. Continue this process until you have finished the rest of the challah loaf. If needed add more butter into your pan between slices.
Serve your challah bread with some fresh fruit. I had some delicious raspberries in the fridge, but you can use any fruit you prefer. Sift some powdered sugar over the top of the Challah french toast and add some whipped cream or maple syrup and enjoy!
Challah French Toast
- 6 Large eggs
- 1/2 Cup Whole milk
- 1/2 Cup Heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Dash Nutmug
- 1 Loaf Challah bread Cut in 1’’ slices
- 2-3 Tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Mable syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh fruit raspberries, strawberries, blueberries etc.
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and a little dash of nutmeg.
- Slice the Challah bread into 1" slices.
- Add the butter to a heated pan.
- Coat 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture. Don’t let the bread soak up all the egg mixture or it will be too soggy when cooked. Let the outside coat with the egg mixture before putting in the pan. Repeat using two slices at a time.
- Cook the slices of bread on medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Once done place them in an oven proof dish in the oven to keep them warm.
- Add some additional butter into the pan if needed and repeat the soaking and baking with the rest of the bread.
- Serve the Challah french toast with powdered sugar, fresh fruit, whipped cream and some maple syrup.